School’s Out Library Sampler
The School’s Out Consortium/YWCA Resource Lending Library has over 500 titles available for loan. We have books written for providers, educators, parents, children, and administrators on a variety of topics. Below are listed topic areas along with sample titles available for loan.
– Adventures in Art • Woodworking with Kids • Make Mine Music!
– The Multicultural Math Classroom • Biology for Every Kid
– City Kids & City Critters • Keepers of the Earth
– Hooked on Books • Writing Down the Days
– Cowtails & Cobras • Everybody Wins!
– Design Kit for Quality • Reflecting Children’s Lives • New Youth Challenge
– Guerrilla Marketing • Managing the Day Care Dollars
– What Kids Need to Succeed • America’s Youth in Crisis
– S.O.S. Kit for Directors • Avoiding Burnout • No Nonsense Management
– Team Games for Trainers • Even More Games Trainers Play
– School-Age Child Care: An Action Manual • The Latchkey Problem
– NSACA Standards for Quality School-Age Care • Licensing Action Guide
– Child Care Behavior Handbook • Please Don’t Sit on the Kids
– The Parent Project • The Community Collaboration Manual
– Multicultural Issues in Child Care• Respecting Our Differences
– Through Indian Eyes • Promises: Affirming Children’s Roots
– Anti Bias Curriculum • Open Minds to Equality
Emotional Development/Violence Prevention
– Self Esteem – A Classroom Affair • Discover the World
– What do You Stand For? • The Giraffe Project
– Adventures in Peacemaking • Creative Conflict Resolution
– Dealing with Youth Violence • The War-Play Dilemma
Health & Safety
– Eat, Think, and Be Healthy!
– When Sex is the Subject: Attitudes & Answers for Young Children
– Love & Limits: Guidance Tools for Creative Parents
– Safety, 1st Aid & Emergency Procedures for School Age Children
– Preparing for the Drug (Free) Years: A Family Activity Book
– School-Age Children with Special Needs
– Understanding Learning Differences • I Can’t Sit Still
– Life & Loss: A Guide to Help Grieving Children
– Managing the Social & Emotional Needs of the Gifted
– What Do You Do with a Child Like This?
We also have a number of enjoyable children’s books that reflect many of the themes listed above. Titles include: The Big Book of Peace, Something Is Wrong at my House (a book about parent’s fighting), On the Wings of a Butterfly (a story about life and death), Habari Gani? What’s the News? (a Kwanzaa Story), and The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs (a wacky folktale).
ADDITIONALLY the library has videos, audiocassettes, magazines, newsletters, curriculum kits, and activity packets also for loan. AS WELL AS resource files containing newsletter articles, research papers, reports, handouts, brochures, and more – all available for browsing. These items cover virtually any out-of-school time related topic imaginable – from Worthy Wage to advocacy, community resources to sample parent handbooks.
If you would like to browse through or borrow any books:
School’s Out office hours are generally 9:00am – 5:00pm Monday – Friday
A maximum of 5 books may be checked out for a three week period.
A $25 deposit is required. Lost or stolen books will be subject to replacement costs & fee.
If you would like to have books mailed to you,
or would like assistance in obtaining materials on a specific topic,
please call School’s Out Consortium at 206-323-2396 or toll free at 888-419-9300.